Friday, June 22, 2012

Fingernail Polish Remover... Who Knew??

I'm all about stretching pennies, making our money go as far as it can, in our one-income family. It's not uncommon for me to save the yogurt tubs, Cool-Whip containers, glass spaghetti sauce jars, or other containers that can be re-used to freeze things in, store leftovers, or for other types of organization around the house.

My new favorite has been the spaghetti sauce jars. I use Classico brand sauce and really like their jars. I've decided I'm going to re-use them for storing some of the mixes and seasonings I mix up. (I can't wait to try making my own taco seasoning!) I stick them through the dishwasher after peeling as much of the label off that I can and they come out cleaner, but with the glue film still on them. I've been on the hunt for something to remove it and heard that fingernail polish remover would do the trick.

Now, I'm not all about using a bunch of not-so-friendly chemicals for everyday use, but I wanted to test this out and see if it really worked.

I gathered my acetone-free remover, cotton balls, and the jar...


and when I was done, not even 5 minutes later...


Cannot wait to use these over and over again! I need to get crackin' on making some seasonings, mixes, but until then they work wonderfully as vases, too!

While I had the fingernail polish remover out, I decided to test another theory... I had read here that acetone from a beauty supply store will remove the print from your plastic containers. I had a hunch that the non-acetone fingernail polish would work, too. See for yourself...


Nick and I had a discussion on whether or not I would feel comfortable using these containers for food again. The verdict is still out, but we did read on the back of the bottle of the remover that it was harmful to plastics. I'll probably use this sparingly and even then maybe for other purposes besides freezing food.

Do you have any containers you like to re-use? Tips or tricks for making them prettified? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment