Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Eggless Blueberry Muffins

A little reading on replacing oil with greek yogurt inspired me to try some other substitutes in a batch of blueberry muffins for my man. 

I scoured the internet for some resources and found a variety of different food items that can be used to replace eggs. See a list of some here.

I decided to still use the greek yogurt to substitute the oil that was called for in this recipe. I used a little more than I would have needed, but figured it would help make them more moist.

My egg substitutes were flaxseed and a ripened banana. I wanted the health benefits of flaxseed and had the ripened banana on hand and thought a slight banana flavor with the blueberry might be good.

So, here is my take on eggless blueberry muffins.

1 box muffin mix
1 cup plain greek yogurt
1 ripened banana
1 Tbsp flaxseed
3 Tbsp water

In a small container mix the flaxseed and water. Beat with fork and allow to form a gel-like consistency. (Allowing it to sit while mixing everything else gave it time to become more gel-like.)

Peel the banana and mash to a puree. (1 small banana should be about a 1/4 cup, this making it the perfect amount for an egg replacement.)

Mix muffin mix, greek yogurt, and banana in large bowl. Add flaxseed and water mix. Stir well until mixed. 


The mixture will be rather dense and springy, not the normal consistency for muffin batter. I found it easier to spoon the batter in to the muffin liners.

I baked the muffins per the directions on the box and then inserted toothpicks to check. Perfect!




Nick enjoyed them and thought they would have been good enough to share with some new neighbors. I wasn't sure if I wanted to hand out my latest experiment until I had fully decided. By the time I had fully decided they were gone. Oy!

They were not as fluffy as your normal muffin, but were a bit more dense and made for a good, protein filled breakfast thanks to the greek yogurt. I stored mine in the fridge and re-heated them when we wanted one.

Would I do it again? Sure, but I want to try some other possibilities, too. After all, experimenting is fun when you have a human guinea pig to try everything. ; )

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, I will have to try this. I have problems keeping bananas from going bad, and I don't usually have eggs on hand anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete