Thursday, June 14, 2012

Birthdays and Berry Cobbler

We celebrated Nick's 29th birthday yesterday! Whooooo-eeeee am I ever getting old, being married to someone 29! Ha!

We didn't do anything crazy fancy-schmancy pants because we have been INSANELY busy over the last several weeks. Think weddings, acquiring new furniture, house projects, weddings, house guests, house projects, family obligations, fellowship obligations, unpacking, and more unpacking... we are ready for a vacation and decided a quiet night in was much more of our speed this year (I told you we are getting O-L-D!)

Nick has never been much of a cake person, but loves fruit crisps and cobblers. So, I decided what better time to test a Pinterest inspired recipe for cobbler than for his birthday.

I used one bag of mixed berry fruit, threw in some extra blueberries and strawberries, a french vanilla cake mix instead of white and just measured out 12 oz of Sierra Mist from the 2-liter. I don't like to keep pop in the house, so I opted to not buy the cans and just get a 2-liter for under a $1. This way it is no big loss if part of it is tossed. 



So, grab the 3-4 simple ingredients, pre-heat the oven to 350, and throw it together!

Berry Cobbler

Ingredients: 
2 bags of frozen berries (12 oz) You pick the variety. 
1 can Diet 7-Up, Sprite, or Sierra Mist
1 white cake mix

Directions: 
Put frozen fruit in a 9 x 13 pan. 
Sprinkle with cake mix. Do not mix. 
Slowly pour 7-Up over the top. Do not mix. 

Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. 

As you can tell from the photo below, some of my mix did not get wet from the Sierra Mist and came out a bit powdery still. I took a spoon and poked it down into the cobbler as soon as it came out of the oven.



The cobbler was delicious! I was never much of a cobbler or fruit pie girl until recent years. I have slowly been acquiring the taste, but I will tell you a secret I'm not so proud of... I went back for seconds. Shhhhhh!!

I hope you give this a try! It really was good and no one would believe it was as simple as pouring a few ingredients into a dish. Go visit the blog the pin came from, Living a Changed Life, as she has lots of yummy tips and other tricks on weight loss and being active.

We paired it with Nick's favorite dinner dish of lasagna. (I didn't tell you we had a HEALTHY dinner in!) I have a favorite, easy recipe I will have to share for that soon.



5 comments:

  1. That cobbler looks good! Yet another similarity between our men... a dislike of cake like products! I also love this blog, so creative! I have to admit that I've started blogging on my xanga again... but perhaps I should join the modern world and get one of these going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cobbler it changes the world - one marriage at a time. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Rock Emily! What I love about reading your blog is...it is as if you and Nick were right here and I can see all of your wonderful expressions and Nick's supportive nods and interjections. I miss you bunches and bunches...along with so many dear brother and sister's in Christ!
    Just read this "Pooh" quote the other day...
    "How lucky (I would have to say blessed!) I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard"
    ~A. A. Milne Winnie the Pooh~
    Rock on Em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just signed up to get updates via email; yay. : )

    This looks so good! I'm going to have to try it. Wonder if you could use a sugar-free cake mix and diet soda (?). Since there's no butter, eggs, oil, etc., that's not too crazy unhealthy, actually. Nice.

    Btw, love that you're doing this (the blog, I mean). Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!

      The original pin did call for diet, but Nick and I consume enough artificial sweeteners as is, so I splurged. I would think a sugar-free cake mix would work as well. Honestly, I wondered about making my own cake mix without sugar because the fruit and pop are sweet enough... Just defeats the convenience factor.

      I think you should start blogging again, too ; )

      Delete