Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Gak-licious?

Hooooot, dry summer days call for some fun, inside activities to keep three kiddos happy and make for some great memories this summer.

I cannot say enough how much I LOVE spending times with these three kiddos. They've been a fun part of my life for several years now, so it is a super sweet treat to be able to hang out with them one day a week this summer.

I love having an excuse to see and act like a big kid with them. When I found this recipe for gak I knew immediately that we needed to do this. We tripled the following recipe so they each had a batch, but they could have been just as happy with a third of what they had.

Gather up these supplies:
2 bottles white glue (4 oz each)
Food coloring (I used neon gel colors)
1 tsp Borax (Our local Wal-Mart didn't have it, so my amazing hubby picked some up at Marsh. If you're local, I will totally give you a tsp. or more of Borax so you don't have to buy your own.)
Plastic cup or bowl

Empty bottles of glue into small container. (We used plastic cups for this step, too). Fill the glue bottles with water. Shake. Empty into the small container.

In a separate plastic cup or bowl, mix together 1/2 cup warm water with 1 tsp. Borax. Stir until Borax is dissolved.



Slowly add the Borax mixture to the glue. Add the food coloring quickly, too. I encouraged the kiddos to use no more than 1/2 of the tube. The pink was about 3/4 of the tube.



We didn't use our spoons for long because it firmed up quickly. I poured it onto the counter even when fairly runny and they began working with it using their hands.

 (The little guy was convinced it looked like mac and cheese. I had to tell him a couple of times not to put it near/in his mouth. Gak is simply not delicious!)

The shrieks and amazement at first touch were well worth the mess (and ruined shirt) we made! Have to love activities that provide a good amount of entertainment.




 The orange dog the littlest one made.



Ziploc bags work well to hold the gak when done. Just be sure and get the air out and save it to play with it another day.


We enjoyed this recipe courtesy of a post at Brown Paper Packages.

No comments:

Post a Comment